31 Healthy & Portable High Protein Snacks
This is a great list for those of us who are busy and on the go! Easy, fast and fabulous any time of the day.
As a general rule, you want to eat within about an hour of your workout, but sometimes your belly is just not ready for a big meal. Try a small, light protein snack like any of the choices on this list to get a quick re-fuel before heading home from the gym! You’ll start the recovery process faster and have more energy later in the day. Bring it with you!
Via The Greatist
2. Beef or Turkey Jerky: Be careful to avoid sodium- and sugar-filled brands, but low-sodium, natural, or lightly-flavored options are a great source of protein. And this chewy snack is super-portable and keeps fresh for months when packed properly. A one-ounce serving (the size of most single-serve packs) contains about 9 grams of protein!
3. Mixed Nuts or Trail Mix: This is a favorite in the Greatist office. Mixed nuts are an easy way to get a delicious dose of protein in a convenient, shelf-stable package. Try a mixed bunch for variety and a combo with dried fruit for some added sweetness. The best bang for your protein buck?Almonds and Pistachios are high up there in protein while comparably lower in saturated fat than their nutty peers.
4. Pumpkin Seeds: Those orange gourds aren’t just for Halloween. The pumpkin insides, scooped out to make room for spooky faces, can actually make a healthy little snack once they’re washed, dried, and nicely roasted! Just ½ cup of pumpkin seeds has about 14 grams of protein — the perfect pre-workout snack!
5. Hard-Boiled Egg: Inexpensive and loaded with nutrients, eggs are one of the best ways to get a healthy dose of protein. Try hard boiling and pre-peeling a dozen at the start of the week and throw one in a small Tupperware container each day for an easy on-the-go snack. (Feeling extra famished? Slice the egg and place it on a piece of whole-wheat bread.)
6. Deli Rollup: Top 2 slices of low-sodium deli meat (turkey, chicken, or roast beef work great!) with 1 slice of lowfat cheese and a shake of pepper. Add a slice of tomato or some lettuce for extra veggie points!
7. Nut Butter Boat: Any vehicle for nut butter (almond, peanut, or cashew, perhaps?) is perfection in our book. Try loading a few celery sticks with 1 tablespoon of any nut butter topped with a few whole almonds or raisins (oh yeah, we went there). If you’re not a fan of celery, try scooping out the middle of an apple and fill it with a nut buttery surprise!
8. Mini Bean-and-Cheese Quesadilla: It might take an extra minute to prep, but combining these two high-protein treats is worth it! Fold ½ cup black beans, 1 tablespoon salsa, and 1 slice cheddar cheese in a small soft tortilla. Cook in a dry nonstick pan until cheese is melted and tortilla is lightly browned. Wrap in foil and stick in a plastic baggie for easy transport.
9. Shake It Up: The combinations are endless with protein shakes. And one scoop can go a long way! Our favorites? The “Protein Creamsicle” — 1 scoop vanilla whey protein powder, 1 cup orange juice, and 1 cup ice blended until smooth — (thanks @JCDFitness!), and the “Star-buffs Shake” — 1 cup iced coffee (with ice) and 1 scoop chocolate whey protein, blended — a caffeine-filled creation from Greatist’s fitness editor, Jordan Shakeshaft.
10. KIND Bar: We’re not huge supporters of prepackaged bars, smoothies, and the like, but we make an exception for KIND bars. Their classic varieties are a great source of protein from the all-nut base (coming in at around 5 grams per bar), but for an even higher dose of the good stuff, try Kind Plus varieties with added protein. (An office favorite is Peanut Butter Dark Chocolate + Protein — one bar has 7 grams!)
Read more via The Greatist!
1132 Notes/ Hide
- omotayosblog likes this
- trillunaeclipse reblogged this from fitvillains
- hayley-in-ak likes this
- soresoftheopenheart likes this
- thingsneverspoken reblogged this from fitvillains
- justbegun2fight reblogged this from fitvillains
- michellama likes this
- legendarisk likes this
- aubries reblogged this from fitvillains
- aubries likes this
- djmidli likes this
- hellokitty52591 likes this
- hellosambam likes this
- luckyyiamhealthy reblogged this from fitvillains
- wrongcop reblogged this from fitvillains
- tlarocco likes this
- the-stillness-in-chaos likes this
- connieswang likes this
- eat-make-love reblogged this from fitvillains
- da-na-o likes this
- sweetteawonderland reblogged this from fitvillains
- treeninja35 likes this
- funny-lookinchick likes this
- cacunosilence likes this
- amki19 likes this
- mimimi6ri likes this
- ilus--elu likes this
- y3so likes this
- iluvcopshowsandglee16 likes this
- mollyrk1 likes this
- twentyfourwhale likes this
- mankainomori likes this
- elhombre likes this
- rock78 reblogged this from fitvillains
- rock78 likes this
- perfectionisjustanopinion reblogged this from fitvillains
- mbharaj reblogged this from chubbywubbygirl
- kusumadevi likes this
- taulltail46 reblogged this from fitvillains
- ntuzas likes this
- creamreem reblogged this from fitvillains
- muslimahinphilly likes this
- tiffyspiffyyy likes this
- perfumania11 reblogged this from fitvillains
- rachellydannee likes this
- nhuuvo likes this
- msjojo likes this
- krispykremedreammachine reblogged this from fitvillains
- thefatface likes this